This just came in across the transom, and I wanted to shoot it out to y’all as soon as possible.
See, here’s the thing: no NDP office is a sprawling empire of employees. They’re lean operations, especially in the communications shops. So if you’re someone who wants to use your communication talents in the service of your political beliefs, and those beliefs align with the NDP’s, the right career opportunity is a valuable thing. And the day it comes up is a bright day in deed.
Friend, your ship just came in. Behold:
Under the direction of senior communications staff, the Communications Officer will work with communications and fundraising staff to develop the fundraising and outreach capacity of the BC NDP web site, on line presence and e-mail systems. The Communications Officer will also manage production of a wide range of printed materials and perform special research projects as required.
The Communications Officer is a full time, six-month term position commencing July 1, 2007.
Membership in CUPE Local 3787 will be a condition of employment.
- Maintain content for Party web site, and develop new content and interactive features for main site and special campaign sites.
- Manage growth and segmentation of Party e-mail lists to facilitate political action and fundraising.
- Develop new media plan for implementation.
- Design and manage production of printed materials including leaflets, direct mail appeals, and fundraising items.
- Monitor regional media and prepare reports on local issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned by senior staff.
- Provide support to constituency associations and committees as assigned.
- Field questions and requests from NDP members/supporters and the general public as appropriate.
- Experience with print design and production.
- Experience with advanced design software including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat.
- Intermediate web design experience.
- Familiarity with database development and management.
- Experience with on line and direct mail fundraising.
- Thorough knowledge of the structure, history, policies and principles of the New Democratic Party of Canada and BC.
- Thorough knowledge of BC politics.
- Exceptional skill in written and verbal communications.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Recent campaign experience.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work under pressure in stressful situations.
- Be prepared to travel as required and work flexible hours and weekends.
- Valid driverâ€™s license and vehicle.
Compensation as per the CUPE 3787 collective agreement.
Applications should be sent by email to the attention of David Bieber, BC NDP Communications at email@example.com by Friday, June 15, 2007 at 12 pm (noon).
Please include relevant references. Questions about the position should be made by email. While we appreciate all interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
One other bonus: you get to work with David Bieber, who’s smart, funny and a mensch.